From: Andy Townsend [mailto:ajt1...@gmail.com]
Sent: mandag 9. april 2018 13.43
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Unclear meaning of amenity=bus_station

On 09/04/2018 11:55, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Currently definition at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dbus_station
> is unclear, it fits two cases
>
> * intercity bus station (routes between cities, importance comparable
>    to railway=station)
> * terminus highway=bus_stop (routes within city terminate and start
>    here, minor importance, importance lower than railway=halt)
>
> while in my experience tag is used only in the first case (what makes
> sense).
>
> Would it be OK to edit wiki and restrict it only to the first meaning?

Being a bus station or not has nothing to do with whether the routes from there
are intercity or not (though often intercity routes will stop at a bus station
rather than elsewhere) or whether bus routes terminate or not (though often
they will).

I suspect the wiki author is just trying to describe "what tends to happen at"
a bus station rather than defining it.  The picture on the wiki is somewhat
confusingly a combined tram and bus station; maybe pictures of more examples
from more continents would help?

Best Regards,
Andu