Paul, as Deep Throat told Bob Woodward, "Follow the money."  Who pays
the rent on the office and who pays the salary of the occupant?  If the
filthy lucre comes out of the government budget, and the office is used
by someone drawing a government salary (as all executives, legislators,
and judges do, or are supposed to, at least) then it is a government office.

By the way the UK has no monopoly on overlap between executive and
legislative branches.  Since we Yanks adopted a Constitution in 1789
that makes the Vice President also the President of the Senate, our VP
is technically a member of the legislative branch, and his office budget
is so appropriated.

Cheers,
apm-wa