On 04/11/18 11:20, Paul Allen wrote:
On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 12:10 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com <mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Question though (more for someone in Europe) - is a "Member of the
    European Parliament" elected, or just appointed by their home
    country? Are they a "politician" as such?

Elected.  They don't serve any useful purpose since the EU is run by unelected bureaucrats, but they're
elected.

    Is there another overall term for elected people? (& yes, I can
    think of quite a few terms for them, but I don't think we should
    be marking any of them on the map! :-))

My local councillor is elected.  Is she counted in this scheme of things?  Local government is government and getting elected is politics.  Even though it has US connotations, a general term
might be "representative."

office=government
government=constituency_office
or
government=politicians_office

???

Leaving is as office=government is too broad .. could encompass a taxation office.