Marc and OSMDoudou,
I did see that in France they put their local school categories into
"school:FR" tag but do you think this approach can be propogated for all
other categories?
E.g. in Russian there are different types of man-made small bodies of
water. Will it work to denote them as water:RU=пруд and water:RU=копанка
instead of the generic water=pond?

Graeme,

> When you say "you get results which differ a lot from what is locally
> called a "lake".", do you mean what is called a lake in Russia,
> or what is called a lake in the country you are searching in?

I mean when you search for "water=lake" tag you don't necesseraly get
"озеро" (which is usually tranlated from Russian as "lake"). So unless you
have "озеро" in the name tag you will never find all these objects which
are called "озеро" in Russian.

> Because, if you search for "lake" in Australia, you will find a lot of
> references to salt lakes, possibly dry, that may only actually have water
> in them very rarely,
> or in some cases, never in human memory! But they are still called lakes,
> the same as the "normal" inland bodies of water.

There is intermitent=yes tag to denote dry lakes as far as I remember.