On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 10:36, 德泉 談 via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> I think I may redraft a feature proposal for the shop focusing providing
> takeout beverages or only have very limit seats and merge the bubble tea shop
> proposal into it. Right now we have amenity=cafe and shop=beverages for those
> sell drinks. Actually I'm not sure that if the feature of a amenity=cafe is
> providing a cozy social/rest space or not. But it seems like both of the two
> tags are not suitable for shops I want to map.
>
> The proposal would introduce a new tag (maybe amenity=drinks or
> amenity=takeout_drinks or what). This kind of places sell beverages mostly
> with takeaway paper or plastic cup, people can drink in their home or office
> after buying.
>
> But after this proposal we can merged the bubble tea proposal and the juice
> bar proposal
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Juice_bar) to clarify
> the tagging scheme of these shops.

This sounds good to me. Thank you for sticking with this!

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 05:47, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This kind of places may focus on different drinks: coffee/iced
>> tea/juice/bubble tea/etc... We can use the existing cuisine=* tag or a new
>> tag for example drinks=juice to distinguish what they focus on, and
>> drink:*=yes to show if a shop provides a kind of drink. (BTW do anyone
>> thinks cuisine=coffee_shop or cuisine=teahouse are weird as me?)
>
> I think that coffee_shop and teahouse are not cuisines.   I'm not convinced
> inventing drinks=* to show what they focus on is a good idea and that
> description=* might be a better way of dealing with it (if the name of the
> place doesn't give it away).

I strongly disagree and would much prefer a newly specified drinks=*
tag, or an "abused" cuisine tag, over a free-text description field.
This is because the former is much more reliable for sake of machine
readability (and also leaves description for anything else a mapper
might like to note). This would be doubly the case if we also adopt
this for espresso takeaway bars (as shown in Tan's instagram first
link) with no seating or very limited seating.

--Jarek