On 13 November 2013 22:01, David Bannon <dban...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Interesting Andrew. Do you know much about this service ?

I know that they also publish the original ECW files, which I
originally converted to JPEG and hosted on my own server as a service
which converted these into web map tiles, until I found that GA
already have such a service!

GA are using ArcGIS Server to serve the tiles, but they do conform to
the same specification as OSM tiles.

> 1. While I request png files I seem to get JPEG

I don't think they serve PNG files, only JPEG.

> 2. Their Y and X number system seems to be miles away from where I'd
> expect it to be. I need to browse to somewhere in Antarctica, south of
> Africa before I could get any (Aussie) tiles back.  I used to understand
> the numbering system, sigh, better get my old notes out..
>
> Anyway, Foxtrot is quite confused, does display tiles but somehow in the
> wrong order, interesting !

Make sure you are using z/y/x and NOT z/x/y (so it is different to OSM
tiles) otherwise it will look like one of those puzzles.