Ah, z/y/x ? that makes sense. FoxtrotGPS does not do z/y/x.  Just what
I'd expect from GA, worked with them indirectly some time ago. Another
life.

I also played with pulling png tiles out of the GA ECW maps but gave up
dealing with their website, they made endless changes that broke firefox
each time. Got sick of explaining to their tech (??) people that I found
it difficult to run Internet Explorer under linux. (So even then they
were not keen on open standards !)

Then the license holder withdrew the ecw plugin for GDAL...

Anyway, this new GA tile server still sounds cool, will have to look
into what can be done.

Thanks for your help.

David