Hi,
I have used the LPI Base Map to add rest areas in NSW.

Halfway through this I though on my personal preferences for rests areas;
a toilet
separation from the road - by distance and/or trees
shelter - more trees?

So I have added those features from that point on, using imagery. Some buildings appear to be toilets so I left notes on those. My experience so far suggest the following;

_Campsites_
I am yet to edit those campsites that contain in part of the name 'Rest Area' or 'RA' ... this needs to be done with some care .. some of them are functionally camp sites .. despite the name. Where I asses them as rest areas I'll add the tag 'camping:caravan=yes' to reflect the past tagging. Where I asses them as camp sites for all I'll add the tag 'tourism=campsite' (if it already exists I'll leave it alone) .
I think that is acceptable?

Some of them are a fair way away from where they should be .. primarily those containing 'RA' and usually 'createdby=campsaustralia'. Where I found those in close proximity to existing but correctly placed campsites I have deleted them. I may well target those 'RA' to see if they are correctly placed (for example not in the middle of an agricultural research centres ploughed field - Temora) or duplicated by a more correctly placed feature.

_Picnic Areas_
I have seen some of these with the name 'Rest Area' too .. those can be tagged with 'highway=rest area' .. but leave the picnic tags in place .. as I don't think they cause any errors in the use of the area?

_Truck Parking_
Some places have had the name 'Truck Parking' applied to them (service roads, parking areas and rest areas too). Not good. My confusion here is does this mean truck only? I think other users may have the same issue. And some rest areas have a real name, so leading to this data being removed. The tag hgv=yes could be applied to the roads and rest areas to indicate this, and it does not mean motor_vehicle=no.
For parking areas the tag capacity can be used - capacity:hgv=no/yes/number

Once again I ask for your thoughts and ideas?
Note: I have learnt (at my cost) to be careful when mapping. I am a good deal less cautious on lists and the wiki - sometimes I like to 'stir the pot'.