From: Sebastian Azagra via Talk-au
Sent: Sunday, 3 October 2021 9:18 AM
To: talk-au@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [talk-au] Cycling on Victorian paths

Hi there,

I’m starting a new thread in relation to recent discussion regarding access on
footpaths which have bicycle=No

In the Melbourne Bikepath cycling community there has been vigorous discussion
relating to the strict rules the cyclists must follow and not ride on footpaths
due to Victorian Road Rules. Victorian cyclists know that we are not permitted
to ride of footpaths.
Members of the community have even sought confirmation of permissions from Vic
police who have confirmed to the affirmative that unless a path is specifically
signed to be used by a cyclist, then cyclists are not permitted to use it from
a legal perspective.

In my view, some of the data in OSM is incorrect as a footpath will some times
have permission bicycle=yes which is incorrect. The majority of the time
allowed access will have bicycle=unspecified (not defined)which I think is fine.
The issue is that cycling software, apps and gps units used by cyclist takes
information from OSM and then creates a route based on the permission assigned
to the road/path in OSM.

I’d be keen to hear from other Victorian cyclists in the OSM community on the
best way to tag paths so that they do not allow cyclists.

regards,
Sebastian