Hi Ben, Andrew, Graeme,

Agree 100%, the hazard is the "steep descent" (or similar), which most
likely (but not always) coincides with the include/gradient sign such as
"15%" (and we might see "incline=-15" tag used as well).

possible tags are:

hazard=Descent  <-- because this is applicable to not just trucks!
hazard=Steep Descent  <-- because this is applicable to not just trucks!
hazard:hgv=Descent
hazard:hgv=Steep Descent
hazard:hgv=Steep Descent;Tilting

incline=-15
incline:forward=-15 <---- if you want to specify direction or is this
implicit in just using incline and direction of the way anyway????

The "restriction" (assume that is the common OSM term Andrew?) or signage
on the road is to use low gears.  Q: Tagged on a node and/or  way?

What about

traffic_sign:hvg=Use Low Gears
traffic_sign:hvg=AU:Use Low Gears
traffic_sign:hvg=Tilting
traffic_sign:hvg=Use Low Gears;Tilting

Feedback is most welcome

Would anyone like me to create a mapillary challenge so we can tag a few of
these examples?

Cheers,
Andrew

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 10:32, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good point. If it's a restriction, it should be more like the maxspeed
> tag, maxspeed:hgv=*
>
> So something like low_gears:hgv=designated rather than using the hazard
> key.
>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 11:25, Ben Kelley <ben.kel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just one thought on this:
>>
>> The "use low gears" it not itself the hazard. It is the steep hill that
>> is the hazard (where the mitigation strategy for HGVs is to use low gears.
>> Same for rollover/sharp bend.
>>
>>  - Ben
>>

>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 10:38, Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank You Greame,
>>>
>>> The  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:hazard#Traffic_hazards tag
>>> seems very appropriate but in my mind, needs a :hgv namespace.
>>>
>>> still not sure on the actual values but...tag/values I would appreciate
>>> feedback on:
>>>
>>> hazard:hgv=Use low gears
>>> hazard:hgv=Long Steep Descent
>>> hazard:hgv=Use low gears;Long Steep Descent
>>>

>>> Another example I would appreciate feedback  are QLD "Tilting Truck
>>> signs": https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/signs/warning
>>>
>>> hazard:hgv=Tilting
>>> hazard:hgv=High Risk Rollover