Thanks Adam, well put.

There are two groups, both trying to be of service to the wider community. The mappers trying to build better maps and land managers trying to protect and manage public land well.

If a land manager sees mappers not respecting their decisions about managing public land, they will see it as vandalism. If mappers see Parks deleting map data, they will see that as vandalism too.

The problem is that there is very little communication between the two groups. Partly because Parks people are overworked and time poor, at least in Victoria which I know best. Also because consensus management and public forums are an unfamiliar form of management for Parks. They are looking for the person in charge and confidential discussions.

The paths include high stakes stuff, some trivial, but also tracks that may lure people over cliffs and environmental damage that may last forever. We are doing better at communicating than the land managers are at the moment. That is good. I am glad to be part of this group which is so patient and so responsible. I want us to keep being responsible and keep listening.

And I again invite the land managers to engage with us in discussion, here or another place of their choice. It is a serious issue that will only be resolved through discussion.

Tony

Wait ... does the OSM community seriously want to call public land managers
vandals for attempting to manage access to parts of public land effectively?

This is a publicly archived forum, which land managers may read.

It's been raised a few times, and I have no problem raising this again:

- OSM have zero control over who renders what downstream, regardless of
tags.

- the existence of trails in a map infers useability at some point.

- continually reinstating trails to a database may incur real world
monetary, ecological, landscape and cultural costs, aside from time of
people engaging in slow edit wars. Who is OSM is then liable for those
costs?

- who in the land management community would now feel inclined to join this
discussion? It seems obvious the OSM community isn't prepared to listen,
only to talk...

This thread has been a bit mind numbing. I've tried hard to avoid writing
this post, and couldn't any more.

There are more important values than a database. Land managers have better
things to do that have edit wars.

And to repeat, OSM has no control over who renders what downstream. Please
respect a land managers decision, or at least ask about it respectfully and
wait as long as is needed for a response. They're busy..managing land.

With regards,

Adam

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024, 21:09 Andrew Welch via Talk-au <