Thanks Tony.

The first crux as I see it is that the OSM community doesn't listen. It is
unable to hear values other than some abstract academic notion of map
purity.

The second crux is that OSM mappers are not responsible or accountable for
anything. So taking the view that "everyone should come to OSM and justify
themselves" is pretty weird and backwards.

What about taking the approach "ok land managers what can we do to help
you?" And if the answer is "stop reverting parks service  edits", then
respect that ...

A better map isn't one with all the everything. It's one made respectfully
and responsibly.