I managed to get the script to the next 'level'. For lines for which all
stops are mapped, it's possible to create skeleton route relations for all
the variations.

See here for an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42418402/RoutesFor%20W%20BXL%20-%20Waterloo.osm

Give me a sign if you plan to actually use it. If you do, keep in mind 2
routes already exist for that line, which I created by adding the stops
manually. Those 2 contain ways too, of course. It takes a bit of fiddling
to add them to the route_master and transfer the stops from 2 of the
skeleton routes to them.

If you want other skeleton routes to experiment with, let me know. It's
easier when no routes for such a line exist yet in the OSM data. But then
you still have to add all the composing ways yourself, of course. In the
MAPCSS I have code to visually highlight all the stops when you temporarily
add odbl=yes as a tag to the route.

For those interested in the subject, I think it's best to simply show it
all during a Google hangout.

Cheers,

Jo