The issue is the quality of the mapping, nothing else. I attended one of
these geoweek events and we used JOSM with the building_tool plugin.  The
mapping of buildings was accurate even though 75% of the mappers had never
used JOSM before.  There was no formal validation done but I verified each
mappers work as they did it.  I got the impression that the mappers enjoyed
the exercise and I think for me that was the most important thing.  Mapping
should be fun.

There was no mention of the work would be validated nor did we record the
mappers userids to ensure which mappers had mapped.  Other mappers had
marked tiles done on the grid.

I was under the impression that Stats Canada was involved but was later
assured by them that this was not the case.

The problem of lots of new mappers producing low quality work really reared
its head during the Nepal crisis.  I do mainly validation on HOT projects
in Africa and I ended up pulling in chunks of Africa and just trying to
clean up the map.  Currently I'm looking at one mapper who has added more
than a thousand ways with one tag I think it says source=PGS.  Data quality
is a major issue in OpenStreetMap.  Recently someone gave up when looking
for area=yes or buildings drawn in iD but left untagged for the most part.
I think in Europe it was 100,000 or more worldwide it was far higher and
that's when the person looking at it gave up.

There are many examples in Africa of groups of buildings being mapped as
one building and labelled building=house.  That's what we are trying to
avoid.  It is possible to correctly map a building in iD I've seen it done
but it takes time.  It is far easier to sort of roughly get it right and
roughly means not accurately.  I think the thing we need to avoid is a
feeling the mapper needs to get a tile done. That's when they start to rush
things.

Building validation?  I can think of no validator who enjoys having to take
two or three times longer to correct someones's work than it would take
them to map it in JOSM with the building_tool in the first place.  I'm
unable to even think of a case where a project has been validated and the
buildings corrected.  When I validate I'm trying to correct the mapper's
work and give them feedback so they will map more accurately in future.
There is no point in doing this to someone who will map once.  It's a waste
of my time.

The wiki page you pointed to, I wrote much of it. the most important part
which you skipped is feedback from a user.

Why do we validate?

“OpenStreetMap is often the only source of maps, but the data quality is
very uneven.  I wish they’d put their more experienced mappers onto
validation.”  This is a quote from an individual who used OpenStreetMap
data (HOT) in the field.
Note the comment the data quality is very uneven and that's what we are
trying to address.  Your particular maperthon may have produced good work,
my lot certainly did but many mappers using the tag did not and that is the
issue.

By the way we do have fewer mappers per square kilometre than Germany does
and we have used CANVEC data to get a basic road network in.  In Ottawa
we've used Open Data to bring in the bus stops. The basic Canadian map
isn't bad but if we had as many mappers per square kilometre as Germany
does then no doubt it would be better.  Our population density is also
lower by the way if you hadn't noticed.

Cheerio John