>> On the contrary, OS have given explicit permission to distribute
>> their data
>> under CC-BY. I quote:
>>
>>> This means that you may mix the information with Creative Commons
>>> licensed
>>> content to create a derivative work that can be distributed under
>>> any Creative
>>> Commons Attribution 3.0 Licence.
>> This seems pretty unambiguous to me?
>>
>> It's true that they have their own licence, the OS OpenData licence,
>> which is
>> not the same as CC. (Of course it's different - it even has a
>> different name!)
>> But that licence gives you the option to distribute derived works
>> under CC-BY.
>> This is just as good as if OS had picked CC-BY directly.
>>
>> Is there some point that I and others are missing?
>>
> It doesn't give explicit permission to distribute under CC-BY, (it
> actually gives much wider permission), it simply notes that using a
> CC-BY licence properly works for them. As far as I can see there is
> only one real condition in the licence - do what you want with the
> information, but you must give attribution to OS (by a single line of
> text), and insist that any derived works also give that attribution
> without misleading people that the work is endorsed by the OS.
>
> Simply put, if OSM puts a line in the relevant places that OSM:
>
> Contains Ordnance Survey Data (c) Crown Copyright and database right 2010
>
> then there is no need to worry. The very clear and explicit wording of
> the OS licence leaves very little to be concerned about with that line
> in the appropriate places. Without that line, OSM should nto be using
> OS data in any way.
>
> Spenny

As an adendum to that, I think the wording on the mian OSM page is
incorrect. It contains the attribution, but the words here:

Our CC-BY-SA licence requires you to “give the Original Author credit
reasonable to the medium or means You are utilising”. Individual OSM
mappers do not request a credit over and above that to “OpenStreetMap
contributors”, but where data from a national mapping agency or other
major source has been included in OpenStreetMap, ***it may be reasonable
to credit them*** by directly reproducing their credit or by linking to
it on this page.

are not appropriate as they do not insist on the OS credit being
retained in derived works.

Spenny