On 7 Jun 2010, at 14:12, David Ellams wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:05:22 +0200, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>
wrote:

<SNIP>

Before anyone starts massively using OS data for anything else than a
comparison, I strongly suggest to get a very clear view of this, either by having the OS say "yes ok" or at least getting a statement from our
own licensing working group.

+1

I for one have still yet to trace anything from OSSV, even though I am
desperate to do the local watercourses, because I am still unclear on
this point. I am only a relatively minor contributor, but I want to be
able to accept the contributor terms, should that ever time come,
without hestiation and without deleting any of my work first. Perhaps I
am overcautious and may eventually succumb to temptation on a bit of
local tracing (where I am happy I could accept deletion if necessary),
but I am mildly alarmed at the prospect of large-scale use of this data
without a bit more clarity regarding the compatibility of ODBL.

The OS page on the wiki it has the following simple statement regarding the license with no caveats which sounds fine.... 'According to the OpenData License Terms and Conditions, all data can be safely assumed to be under a CC-by 3.0 license - the T&C Explicitly say so.'
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey_Opendata

However..... on the 'Closed issues' section of the ODBL license is states that ODBL may be incompatible with data supplied as CCBYSA and states that contributors using such resources 'should get the permission of the original data provider to relicense it to ODbL'.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Closed_Issues

I note that the OS data is CCBY not CCBYSA which may be relevant to the issue, I don't know. I have also noted that the government clearly wants the data to be used and is unlikely to sue, however the Foundation have stated that they will remove all data that is derived from CCBYSA (and CCBY?) !

Are the license working group or the foundation researching this for us? The question is simple. Is the OS Open data compatible with ODBL and if not then are they following it up and how are the discussions going?

Incidentally I see nothing about it in the license working group minutes relating to the OS data since it was released on 1 April.

Regards,

Peter Miller

David (davespod)