>I think foot=designated should *only* be used where you have definite evidence
>of a pedestrian right of way.

>Or am I confusing foot=designated with designation=public_footpath?  The latter
>is what I have used until now for public footpaths, and seems unambiguous
>enough
>that it won't get tagged on everything indiscriminately.

designation=public_footpath has, from what I can make out, largely replaced its
"deprecated" (maybe a bit strong a term) predecessor foot=designated. General
current practice appears to be to use designation (less ambiguous as you say,
and less tags needed to describe the different ROW types). Agree absolutely *it
should only be used if you know for sure it's a right of way, or it appears to
be beyond all reasonable doubt*.

Nick