No extra "designation" tag is needed in my opinion. If they are on the
authorities list of streets, then they are legally exactly the same as any
other road. Therefore highway=unclassified would be fine. The issue arises
when they are not well maintained, narrow, or not suitable for some larger
vehicles. We really need some way of identifying this in a tag so that
routing engines can suggest an alternative route. I guess some people may
use highway=track to make a distinction, but I'm not convinced this is
right...

Ideas welcome (I've not seen enough examples to get an understanding of
what these roads are actually like on the ground - photos welcome too)

Rob