On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Alan Mintz
<alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> There's another, very important use for the "tiger:reviewed" tag.

As I've said above, that's the one tiger tag I don't remove (until
I've reviewed the way, of course).

You don't seem to have read that message.  In it I went through each
of the tiger tags individually and explained what was wrong with them.
 The tiger:tlid key in particular is in horrible shape, to the point
where I guess at least 95% of them *are* wrong.

Basically, the only tag I can imagine worth keeping would be the
name_type, name_base, name_* ones, and those should be removed from
the tiger:* namespace.  But really before that can be done a standard
should be decided on about how to store the names.  Once that is done,
I'll gladly produce a script to re-add all the name_base/name_types
that I've deleted.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying about removing things added by
others, but when you fill the database with millions upon millions of
entries with no apparent usefulness, I think part of the burden is on
you to justify why they should stay.

TIGER was great for filling up what was a nearly blank map.  But
gradually we should be moving beyond TIGER.  Hopefully one day there
will be no TIGER data left.  That should be the goal.

So I guess we're at an impasse.  Because your message above hasn't
provided me any new information.