On 30 July 2010 22:12, Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Do we really need
> the database space that badly?

I've heard arguments on the talk list that this clutters the database
and similarly wikipedia= tags should be massively removed and if at
all, links should be maintained then in the wikipedia database *to*
our objects rather in our database to wikipedia pages.

This just sounds like passing on the hot potato.  Even if osm comes to
be a point where references to ten different databases are kept for
objects, it's still valuable information, and I personally don't see
how it's inconvenient.  If it hurts your eyes how the name= and
highway= tags are lost among the other tags in your favourite editor,
then perhaps modify the editor.  Keep the links in whatever database
it makes most sense, for example wikipedia pages are indexed by their
title, which is a pretty stable reference, as opposed to OSM id's,
that's why it make more sense to keep them here.  TIGER data we can't
edit, that's why it makes more sense to keep the id's here.

Flickr (if treated as a big database where each photo is a record) had
the balls to store references to osm objects, as well as dopplr.com
IDs and foursquare.com venue IDs in their "machine tags" for each
picture that is a photograph of a given object.  There was no fear of
"cluttering" their machine tags space.  Why would it be an issue in
osm?

Also note that once there's a photo on flickr that is tagged with an
osm object id and a foursquare.com venue id at the same time, you have
a link between OSM and foursquare.com, no need to duplicate this
information in either of these databases.  If that osm object contains
a tiger tlid, you can tie the foursquare.com venue to a tiger record
and so on.

I'm not asking anyone to go adding these tags, but just saying that
they don't hurt, even if they're just a hint (a bridge that contains
twenty TLIDs and perhaps only one of them is the right one).

Cheers