On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also note that once there's a photo on flickr that is tagged with an
> osm object id and a foursquare.com venue id at the same time, you have
> a link between OSM and foursquare.com, no need to duplicate this
> information in either of these databases.  If that osm object contains
> a tiger tlid, you can tie the foursquare.com venue to a tiger record
> and so on.

Serious question: why would anyone want to do this? (putting aside the
fact that foursquare is probably not for streets) Does the TLID have
any significance outside TIGER?

> I'm not asking anyone to go adding these tags, but just saying that
> they don't hurt, even if they're just a hint (a bridge that contains
> twenty TLIDs and perhaps only one of them is the right one).

What about a bridge that contains forty TLIDs and none is the right
one because the right one was the fiftieth and that many TLIDs
wouldn't fit in the maximum field size (255 characters, I believe)?

The way I see it is that if I were mapping an area from scratch,
nobody would go adding the TIGER tags. So if I completely redo an
area, whether I use existing ways or draw new ways, there's no reason
to keep the TIGER tags. If anyone objects, I can change my workflow to
delete the old ways and create new ways rather than redrawing the old
ways :)