On 31 July 2010 00:50, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also note that once there's a photo on flickr that is tagged with an
>> osm object id and a foursquare.com venue id at the same time, you have
>> a link between OSM and foursquare.com, no need to duplicate this
>> information in either of these databases.  If that osm object contains
>> a tiger tlid, you can tie the foursquare.com venue to a tiger record
>> and so on.
>
> Serious question: why would anyone want to do this? (putting aside the
> fact that foursquare is probably not for streets) Does the TLID have
> any significance outside TIGER?

Various use cases I can see right now, and there are more.
 * You may just want to display a link to the osm object or tiger
object on a flickr photo page (flickr already does it for photos
tagged with osm:<node|way|relation>= ), the service may even
automatically extract metadata from either of the databases, like
"this is a building", "this is a road", so even the computer can know
what exactly is on the photo, no need to analyse the picture.  Google
could use it to enhance picture search etc.  OSM gives you some
information on the object, TIGER gives you other type of information
(official classification, weird area codes etc), another database
(like foursquare.com? not sure) can tell you the capacity of a bar and
maybe even price level for a restaurant that's a node in OSM.
 * knowing which direction the camera looked, you can actually overlay
the road geometry on it, make it clickable etc., same way Google
Street View shows 3d lines for roads on the panoramas.
 * knowing that road A in TIGER crosses roads B, C and D, you can do
sanity checks if the same ways cross each other in OSM, that may be
helpful both to the tiger maintainers and to OSM.  Same way you can
check if a junction has the right number of roads meeting there.
 * you can provide routing in one area using map A, and seemlessly
switch to map B when you cross some border and based on some other
critera.  In effect you can generate a single route using multiple
maps, you can mix and match in any ways you like.

Wikipedia page on "Linked Data" has more on this, there are endless
possibilities.

>> I'm not asking anyone to go adding these tags, but just saying that
>> they don't hurt, even if they're just a hint (a bridge that contains
>> twenty TLIDs and perhaps only one of them is the right one).
>
> What about a bridge that contains forty TLIDs and none is the right
> one because the right one was the fiftieth and that many TLIDs
> wouldn't fit in the maximum field size (255 characters, I believe)?
>
> The way I see it is that if I were mapping an area from scratch,
> nobody would go adding the TIGER tags. So if I completely redo an
> area, whether I use existing ways or draw new ways, there's no reason
> to keep the TIGER tags. If anyone objects, I can change my workflow to
> delete the old ways and create new ways rather than redrawing the old
> ways :)

What I mean is keep the tags if it doesn't cost you anything.  If it
would impact your mapping effiency then perhaps it make more sense to
skip them, it's a tradeoff.  However when you map an area from
scratch, what metadata do you add?  Perhaps highway= classes and
name=, all other other information are pretty boring to survey and
it's easier to just copy them over from the tiger ways you delete.  I
just use ctrl+c + ctrl+shift+v, this copies all the tags in JOSM, and
you can then modify the values if anything is wrong in that data.

Cheers