>If you set up a group on meetup.com you'd be surprised how many people

>join and start to get interested once you have a group meeting monthly.

There is a fee to set up a group on Meetup. Someone had such a group in Tampa,
and held a mapping party that introduced me to OSM. That was the only mapping
party here since I became aware of OSM. The organizer let the membership lapse
and looked for someone else to take it over. I wasn't willing to pay $72 every
six months, and apparently no one else was, either. I have never been very
successful at enrolling people into new activities, although I am pretty good
at supporting a group and keeping it on track if someone else leads it.
Meaning, among other things, that if we had an active group here and found
Meetup useful for keeping it going, I'd be willing to pay the Meetup cost.

Ed Hillsman