For me, there needs to be a physical separation that is more than just a
curb between roadway and sidewalk to map it separately - like the grassy
median in example 1 - but I don't claim any authority on the matter. If I
were less lazy, I might also map the ones that just have a curb separating
roadway and sidewalk.

Martijn

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Brad Neuhauser
<brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Just to clarify, Martijn, are you saying example #1 is physically separate
> because there's a curb *and* a grassy median in between the street and
> sidewalk, but example #2 is not physically separate because there's only a
> curb in between?  As a pedestrian, I would hope that a curb would be
> physically separate enough :)  Brad
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Martijn van Exel <
> mart...@openstreetmap.us> wrote:
>
>> I do that too - but only when the sidewalk is really physically separate
>> from the main roadway.
>>
>> So I would add a separate highway=footway here: http://binged.it/1fttMse
>> But not here: http://binged.it/1heqqnR
>>
>> Generally - don't map for the renderer. If there is a clear use case and
>> the data conforms with general guidelines for inclusion in the map I would
>> suggest, yea, get over it :)
>>
>> Martijn
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM, William Morris <wboyk...@geosprocket.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a general OSM policy on marking sidewalks as highway=footway?
>>> User dolphinling appears to have gone crazy in downtown Burlington,VT
>>> tracing the sidewalks and calling them footways. Which wouldn't be a
>>> problem if footways weren't so cartographically distinct in everyone's
>>> stylesheets:
>>>
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.47772/-73.21112
>>>
>>> Should I:
>>>
>>> 1. Revert