On 04/30/2014 11:38 AM, William Morris wrote:
Is there a general OSM policy on marking sidewalks as highway=footway?
User dolphinling appears to have gone crazy in downtown Burlington,VT
tracing the sidewalks and calling them footways. Which wouldn't be a
problem if footways weren't so cartographically distinct in everyone's
stylesheets:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.47772/-73.21112

Should I:

1. Revert
2. Get in touch with the editor
3. Get over it

Thanks!

-Bill Morris
@vtcraghead

Hi Bill :)

I was following the tagging at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:footway%3Dsidewalk

I'm personally not a fan of the way Mapnik renders footways (I'd prefer a thin grey line rather than a dotted red line), but it hasn't yet bothered me enough to propose a Mapnik change--in large part because at low zooms the roads cover the sidewalks.

Do you have any concerns other than display? The wiki mentions some like it being harder for a pedestrian router to say something like "Follow the sidewalk along main street" with sidewalks as separate ways. If you have this or any other concern, I'm happy to add more detail to help mitigate them.

--Andrew