I do that too - but only when the sidewalk is really physically separate
from the main roadway.

So I would add a separate highway=footway here: http://binged.it/1fttMse
But not here: http://binged.it/1heqqnR

Generally - don't map for the renderer. If there is a clear use case and
the data conforms with general guidelines for inclusion in the map I would
suggest, yea, get over it :)

Martijn

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM, William Morris <wboyk...@geosprocket.com>wrote:

> Is there a general OSM policy on marking sidewalks as highway=footway?
> User dolphinling appears to have gone crazy in downtown Burlington,VT
> tracing the sidewalks and calling them footways. Which wouldn't be a
> problem if footways weren't so cartographically distinct in everyone's
> stylesheets:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.47772/-73.21112
>
> Should I:
>
> 1. Revert