On 2021-02-08 4:01 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
Anything that can get more complicated will get more complicated.  Boot
loaders seem to be an example.

It used to be straightforward to read /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.
Now, building the list of kernels for the menu is farmed out to blscfg (a
grub module).

I needed to have a Fedora box default to booting a kernel that isn't the
latest (because the latest cannot bring up the display on my computer).

1. I needed to make updates not delete the working kernel.  Normally
updates keep only the last three kernels.  As of today, two are duds.
Fix: change /etc/dnf/dnf.conf's installonly_limit from 3 to 0

2. Find the list of kernels known to grub:
        sudo ls /boot/loader/entries/*.conf

3. set the default to one of those.  Use the filename, without the
directory and without the .conf
          sudo grub2-set-default
2733f1c892a5422c98bdb188c4f62737-5.10.9-201.fc33.x86_64

I don't know how long this sticks.

I have to do the same thing on my mythtv station to prevent the 5.10 series of kernels from installing/running. Debian lets you do this by placing specific revision number packages on "hold", disabling further updating.

Fedora seems to have the same sort of feature.  Can't you use it?
https://www.tecmint.com/yum-lock-disable-blacklist-certain-package-update-version/

--
Michael Galea