On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 23:38:58 -0500
Alvin Starr via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I had no obviously easy to know where your posting from.
> I guess the thing is that your posting to a Greater Toronto Area LUG
> from away.
> There is no reason why you should not do that, its just the
> assumption that your likely local.
> I know a lot of people on this list and they are all pretty well
> local but for one guy in Africa.

one guy in Africa, I guess this be me.

So anyway, when I subscribed to TLUG I was visiting my Aunt (my mothers
sister), a Canadian whom and lived and worked in Toronto for 40+ years
(newspaper editor/teacher/writer) and I wanted to connect with the
local Linux community in Toronto...

I got to know some people in the community and then I guess I just
never left, some people on this list are really just very cool people.

so, my Aunt passed away, and my Mom a few months ago, the past few years
were not great years for me.

Anyway, just thought I would put this out here for those that do not
know anything about this one guy in Africa :)

Andre

--
added '--' above so that it 'should' read as a sig and not bug/bother
read more about me (if you are bored), so get a coffee and read!

===
about me in a nutshell: I use Linux for everything. I love Linux.
I operate a very small boutique ISP with 60k odd mailboxes and a few
thousand websites. I dev my own stuff, my own EPP systems (I am a
domain registrar), operate/manage many many DNS servers, many
email servers and I totally do my own thing - all on Linux. I have been
on the Internet since I switched of my bbs circa 1988 (compuserv)
For fun I dev NEW stuff, (initially cult of the dead cow type stuff,
much later fyodor (GL - if using google add: nmap) type stuff, and then
onto larger things for example, I started making my own Linux in the
late 90's I started making my first web application in 2001 (stopped
it in 2008) the code, around 500 000 lines of it - is published under
the GPL)  - made my first mobile phone app in 2007. Started making "AI"
in 2010 (stopped ai dev in 2014) I have not done much the past ten
years, except maintain a few libraries (lgpl and gpl stuff) and this
and that on dnssec, some internet abuse type stuff, a few bind stuff
and I am also now doing something else, which I think may have legs,
but the jury is still out on that.

As a kid, and growing up I went to a farm school, I learned wood
working, arc and gas welding and at University an accountant
(with computer science at least :) ) in .za we had to do
compulsory 'military service' so I was in the Police and I have
done so many interesting things, most of which I will not bore
you with as much of it is unbelievable anyway.