On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 00:56, Alvin Starr via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:
> google authenticator  has a chrome extension you can use.
> I use a package called authy that has a desktop version.

For RFC 6238 Timed-based One-time Password (TOTP), which most sites
that offer TOTP use, I use the Google Authenticator app on my phone
and KeePassXC for PCs. When adding a new site, I set up both at the
same time, with the same key/QR code, so they generate the same codes
and I can use either to sign in.
https://keepassxc.org/

However, if offered, my first choice for 2FA is a physical security
key. I have a Google Titan key.
https://store.google.com/ca/product/titan_security_key

Yubico keys are probably the more popular choice and offer models with
more features.
https://www.yubico.com/products/

It's more convenient to press a button instead of having to enter a
code, even if you can copy and paste the code. Most sites allow you to
set up both TOTP and physical key based 2FA, which I do in case I
don't have my Titan key with me.

There's also the relatively new "passkey" standard for phones, that
doesn't require a hardware key or entry of a passcode. I haven't seen
much use of this yet.
https://fidoalliance.org/passkeys/

--
Scott