On 1/16/24 11:27, mwilson--- via talk wrote:
Help-desk people are forbidden to hang up, but if the customer terminated
the call it would count as a problem resolution, and therefore a good
thing.

Several years ago, I was doing some work at a Bell customer, hooking up an Adtran router to Bell ADSL.  One site went well, but I couldn't get the other site going.  I called Bell's support and got someone who insisted I click on the Start button.  Last I checked, Adtran routers didn't have a Start button.  The guy (in India) couldn't get off his script and do anything, so I asked to escalate.  He then hung up on me.  The customer called her Bell rep, who said to call Bell's French line and I'd get someone in Canada, who could likely speak English.  I was then able to resolve the issue.  It was a Bell wiring error and I was able to finish the job, after they corrected the error.

BTW, I used to do both 1st & 3rd level support at IBM.