Here's the solution to a similar but different problem I've had with Thunderbird for a long time. If I change focus to another program while composing a message, typically to reference some information needed for the message, often but not always I can't read anything when I return to the message window. But if I press Control-S to save the message it then reads fine.
Hth,
Tom