Hi,

recently we've had the same discussion in Czech list. The conclusion was
to use 'place' for tagging areas where "city" speed limits apply.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place
> The place key can also apply to an area (area) drawn around the
> perimeter of the place. It not specified otherwise this can be safely
> interpreted as the administrative border, area of "within closed
> city" driving rules and area of the postal-address of the city.

Since we couldn't find any other tag mentioning 'driving rules' or
'speed limits' we agreed to use 'place=*'.

Regards,
Radek Cernoch