John Smith wrote:
> From the map features page:
>
> place=locality                An unpopulated, named place.
>
> I'm pretty sure what you guys are discussing involves large numbers of
> people, so please don't abuse this tag which is already used for a
> completely different purpose already.

From the same (I suppose) page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Locality
The place <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place>=*locality* tag
is useful for places that have a specific name, but do not necessarily
have any geographic feature or population centre that could be used to
attach a name tag to.

Please note that he NOT NECESSARILY, which implies, I believe, that you
could have population associated with it. Of course, I might be wrong
since English is not my main language. I am probably misunderstanding
the examples that are given especially the last line.
A "quartier" is not necessarily big; actually, in France, they tend to
be rather small with hundreds of people contained in a fuzzy area. They
are very small areas usually. My hometown of 20K inhabitants have at
least 20 of those named areas (The density is quite high due to some
appartments complex).

Emilie Laffray