The question with Eugene seems to be about mapping what is physically seen
from outside rather than mapping the outside.

Some people see some trees and paths so map it as a park. That is like
seeing big fences and army guards and mapping it as military.
If at the park you see a sign "Welcome to xxx park!" or even just "Closes at
9pm, by order of the park keeper" then you can be sure (enough) that it is a
park. In the same way, if we see signs "Keep out, military only", "no entry
by order of the army" or a sign on the front door "Barracks of unit xxx",
then we can map it as landuse=military. It may not be owned/operated by the
military, but it is used/guarded by them. It would surprise me if there are
no signs to tell you it is something to do by the military.

Again, the landuse=military tag does not say what is inside, it might even
be disused(even unguarded) but still owned (and with signs) by the military.
If it is a real secret then it should be dressed up as something else and
have a sign saying something like "Cute bunny farm", but then we should map
it as landuse=farm. What you want to hide from map readers you also need to
hide from people passing by (and be prepared when both people stop and
asking if they can see the bunny rabbits).

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com