On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 07:45 +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
> > On 13 July 2010 06:59, Pieren<pier...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> I would say the exact opposite. The tag 'name' is what you see on the
> >> facade. The (optional) tag 'operator' is the name of the chain but we
> >> should
> >> not suggest to not use 'name' otherwise we will have different tagging when
> >> restaurants/hotels are part or not of a chain.
> >
> > No according to the wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator
>
> As others have pointed out, 'brand' may be a better choice of 'name' in some
> cases, but in reality there are THREE possible tags in many of these cases.
> For
> example
> name=the fancy hotel
> brand=best western
> operator=the local best western franchise

Thinking from an end-user point of view, Im more likely to be looking
for 'Best Western' than 'Bob Jones's Motel Franchise' or 'McDonalds'
rather than 'Janes Restaurant Group, trading as McDonalds'.  As an end
user, I think youd care about the brand/operator (McDonalds), then the
name ("McDonalds Smithtown"), then the franchise details ('ABC
Restaurants T/A McDonalds').

> Our local supermarket is a budgens but ...
> brand=budgens
> operator=Guy Warner Group
> In this case the 'name' might be 'Guy Warner Budgens' as appears on the local
> sign.

But, if youre visiting an area, youre more likely to search for a
'Bugdens' than search for 'Guy Warners store'.

> petrol stations and other 'franchise' type operations will have the same more
> complex relations ... BUT for example, I have a 'fast fuel' fuel card which
> can
> be used at any Texaco garage, but the operator of those garages may not be
> Texaco, so should I be adding a 'fastfuel'=yes tag or brand=Texaco to
> identify
> this ... Just another piece of the branding jigsaw.

If the big logo on the sign out the front says Texasco, then that should
be the operator.

David