On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Jeff Meyer <j...@gwhat.org> wrote:
> At SOTM US 2012, SteveC mentioned addressing as a high priority for making
> OSM more usable, etc.
>
> Does anyone have a primer on best practices for improving OSM addressing
> quality quickly & efficiently?
>
> For example, I like to walk around my hood, drawing houses & adding house
> numbers, but that strikes me as inefficient for making any significant
> impact (although it is strangely therapeutic) on a larger scale. Should we
> be marking block numbers, etc., to provide a max / min for each block?

Doing anything in OSM as a single user in an inefficient way of making
a significant impact. This is why we call it "crowd" sourcing :)

Yes, you can use an address interpolation[1] to do a whole block at a
time. Here in the US I kind of feel like this is a waste of time
though since Nominatim already pulls in what is essentially an address
interpolation from external TIGER data. So if I'm going to add address
information I might as well make it better than what is already
available. But in places without such external data I think address
interpolations are a decent way of getting address coverage done
quickly. Although I'm not sure if anything besides Nominatim really
supports interpolations...

Beyond that, I think it comes down to the same thing it always comes
down to. More mappers. Specifically for address data I think there is
a lot we can do to simplify the process. For example, if all I want to
do is add an address and maybe some contact info to a POI that already
exists, why do I need a full featured geospatial data editor like P2
or JOSM? Why not a simple web form? I think as OSM gets into more
maintenance of existing data as opposed to adding of new data, simple
tag editors will be a good thing anyway.

Oh and KeypadMapper is definitely a winner. I was able to collect
about 120 residential addresses on a single stroll around my
neighborhood. It took me longer to process the data once I got home
but that's because I ended up drawing outlines of each house as I
placed the address node from the KeypadMapper file.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation

Toby