Bryce,

On 08/21/2013 01:05 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
iD raises the bar, as should any project that wholesale replaces another.
Instead the question should be "what achievable workflows have a shot at
helping starting mappers turn into quality repeat mappers"?

You seem to be arguing that iD would have to be demonstrably better than P2 in order to legitimise making it the default.

I have to disagree on this point; I think that even if iD were a 1:1 reimplementation of P2 in Javascript with zero improvements (which it isn't!), even then it would already be superior to P2 because of not relying on proprietary and dying technology.

The only reason for delaying the making-default of iD can be, IMHO, if it fared worse than P2 in one or more aspects of non-trivial importance.

"Missing an opportunity to be better" would not be sufficient reason for me.

Bye
Frederik