On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> It has been claimed often that "iD damages relations". Can we somehow
> substantiate that claim?
>
> Could anyone provide a detailed description of a non-esoteric use case
> that involves
>
> * a kind (and structure) of relation that is very common and thus likely
> to be encountered by a new contributor;
>
> * a simple-looking edit that is likely to be made by a new contributor and
> that results in a broken relation in iD?
>
> In what way will the relation be broken, and what indication (if any) does
> iD display about the problem?

The two examples that are most commonly given are deleting then re-drawing
(rather than adjusting in place) a section of road that is a member of a
route relation, and merging or splitting ways in that are members of a turn
restriction.

Of these two, the first is more likely to meet your criteria, route
relations being much more common than turn restrictions, and merging ways
being somewhat uncommon of an action for a new contributor. I haven't
actually seen changesets that exhibit either of these cases, however. I
don't have any empirical data to back it up, but my hunch is that they
occur significantly less frequently than one would expect given the level
of concern over them.

Comparing iD to P2:

* P2 displays colored strokes for ways that are members of route relations;
iD does not. We plan to implement this eventually for iD, but until then
one could argue that this makes route relations slightly more visible in P2.
* But on the other hand, relation memberships are only displayed in the
"advanced" tab of the P2 sidebar, whereas they are always visible in iD.
* Neither editor has a warning when you delete a way that is a member of a
route relation.
* Neither editor has a warning when you merge a way that is a member of a
turn restriction.
* iD displays modified relations in the save UI. P2 does not.
* iD just does the right
thing<https://github.com/systemed/iD/blob/e631faa185358b8b85732d46f1734881342dc4e1/test/spec/actions/split.js#L401-L496>when
you split ways that are members of a turn restriction. P2 does not.

I think that overall, users will be less likely to accidentally damage
relations with iD than with P2.

John