Roland,

replies in-line

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbri...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Luckily, in the offline database on my device, the object with "name"="Köln"
> had a tag "name:nl"="Keulen". So I know that the sign is referring to my
> desired destination.

Depending on the device in question, it is probably not actually using
OSM data in its pure object form. If you have a Garmin, for example,
you're using some Garmin data file. Very few software programs operate
on pure OSM data without some additional processing step, even if that
step is just to extrapolate things like geometries of objects.

> Please note that
> - I had no internet connectivity in that situation, hence "wikidata", any
> other external database or even non-copied OSM data was not an option.

Right, but it's likely that your map device had done some
pre-processing step. That's where a tool would know how to bring in
the Wikidata names and conflate them properly.

> So in total: Is it really a gain to remove all "name:XX" tags from "Köln"?

That's a separate issue, I think, from what we're discussing.

No one is talking about making a mass edit where all names are removed.

Let's imagine another scenario where you were on the same road and the
name you wanted was not present. If so, you would be compelled to fix
it.

But if the map you used didn't need to be updated, it already worked,
you would not be thinking about it.

> And do we want to discuss such cases again and again with overzealous
> self-appointed curators? Please note, the DWG does recognize when the
> "on-the-ground" rule is a rule of thumb, but others with an OSM account
> might not.

I don't understand what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

> I opt for: If a human mapper decides that it is worth adding "name:XX" to an
> object then let him/her do so. All annoying cases are covered by the
> mechanical edit policies, we don't need extra strict rules for name tags.

The line between "human" and mechanical edit can be thin. If a company
uses Mechanical Turk to make OSM edits one at a time, I would argue
that this mass edit is the same as a computerized mechanical edit.
That's why there are two issues here:

1. Is this a mechanical edit (which the DWG already addresses)
2. Is the data correct?

The second point is where Frederik is talking about, and he's simply
saying "Let's go back to basics and use the on the ground verification
as a rule of thumb.

- Serge