Hello Vilius,

On Wed, 16 May 2007 00:47:05 +0300 GMT (16/05/2007, 04:47 +0700 GMT),
Vilius Šumskas wrote:

>> because TB! is the only client on the face of the planet which will not
>> allow you to accept an expired cert, you have to install Stunnel and
>> configure it manually, then open up that first, then use TB! for that
>> server. You see the good people at Ritlabs will not allow you to trust
>> yourself to make a judgment whether you are smart enough to accept certs
>> that have expired on IMAP servers.

VŠ> Actually this is very good decision. Many users just don't read what's
VŠ> written on every popup. They press YES YES YES.

While I don't use IMAP, this was the most ridiculous reply I've seen
on this list for a long while.

So, many people press YES YES ES. So what? What if *I* read the
messages? Does the email client have to nanny me because your
grandmother doesn't read them?

You have really insulted the intelligence of the TB users. If some are
stupid enough to click YES, that is *their* problem. Why on earth
would you forbid *me* to accept an expired certificate, if I so
choose?

VŠ> And why on earth people use a certificate if it is expired? (or self
VŠ> signed)?

That's their decision. Why do they have to answer this question?

VŠ> It can be very easily compromised and by accepting such
VŠ> certificate you NEVER know if it comes from your server of from
VŠ> 3rd person in between.

Yes, *can*. Let me be the judge of whether I want to risk my
system. Don't protect me from the dangers that might be there for your
grandmommy.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

I wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.