Hi, all,
On 25/09/1999, at 14:18,
Steve Lamb (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
climbed up a big rock and began to chant:

>> Do you think all the spammers *must* operate the same way ?
>> That is not haw your spammers operate, but, well, why an other one
>> couldn't do that ?

SL>     What he has done, however, was bring in his limited experience as a
SL> countermand to my sound advice.  Advice that I have clearly explained and is
SL> based on my professional experience of 4+ years in the industry.  Let me draw
SL> an analogy for you.

SL>     A rocket scientist gives a lecture on how rockets work, why they work, to
SL> what use they are put to, why they are used in that manner and what benefits
SL> all of that bring the people he is speaking to.  At the end of his lecture, a
SL> man stands up and says, "You know, when I was a kid I built model rockets and
SL> launched them.  Some of them exploded.  I don't think that your rockets do
SL> much good for me."

Let the analogy go closer to our matter :
    1. The rocket doesn't try to get the better way to explode for
    running around its builder willing. The spammer do try.
    2. Something happening "when you were a kid", and fixed up by now,
    is different than something rather new, which may grow -or not-.

I do think that if a rocket hobbyists club tell a rocket scientist
that 95% of their models are destroyed by the counter rockets
hobbyists kids club, using a new type of low energy hand made
microwave emitter, and the scientist doesn't give an alert to the
security officer of his factory, to make the industrial rockets
resist to this new thing, even if they *never* had *any* problem with
it before, this scientist will be fired away from his job, won't he ?

SL>     IE, just because *HIS* spammers are acting in an manner not consistent
SL> with the norm does not mean the norm is invalid.  I have not stated that his
SL> experience is wrong.  I have stated, however, that his experience is not the
SL> norm and that people are better advised to combat the norm than the
SL> aberration.

Why not fighting both ?

Here is the main system of my anti-spam task force :))

     1. early warning scout teams (EWST) :
     I have some [EMAIL PROTECTED] addresses I give to any list or
     commercial site, or anything of this kind.
     After a while, if there is no spam traces, I subscribe with a
     regular address.
     When an early warning address is spam surrounded, I just forgot
     it (cruel world, isn't it ?), and create a new one.
     So I near never go to death zones.

     2. main force security light infantry units (SLIU) :
     I use filters to redirect potential spam to a specific folder.
     The "not my name in the TO" is one of them, of course and -agreed
     with SL- a good killers team.
     Some others are "$", "MONEY", "SEX", "erotic", and other french
     and english words or sentences, and do fine bloody job, too.
     Note that if *this* post go thru your shield, you've got a
     weakness in it :)))

     3. close combat knife fighters (CCKF) :
     Well, when the foe brakes the line and comes in, I just use the
     DEL key :)

     4. tactical intelligence team (TIT) :
     When a spam from a new source is killed by the CCFK, the
     information found with it is managed and a new SLUI is trained to
     kill its brothers outside the lines.

     5. strategic intelligence unit (SIU) :
     I do think about what the foe *will* do against me, not just how he
     works by now. So *thanks* to the people whose spammers "are acting
     in an manner not consistent with the norm" because their
     informations may help me to prevent new kinds of practices.

     6. light artillery group (LAG) :
     From time to time, I spam back. But I think this is a bit
     inefficient.

     7. psychological operations operational force (PSYOPS OPFOR) :
     Well, ideas like forwarding spams to the root, admin, webmaster
     and something like that may be useful to make them more angry
     against the terrs who use their sovereign country as a base
     camp. All ideas of this kind are welcome.
     Forwarding it to some [EMAIL PROTECTED] make me laugh a
     bit, too.

     8. civil affairs operational force (CI OPFOR) :
     There is some "slow" spammers who stays days, instead of hours,
     in the same point. Officially advising their admin may work.
     Notice they are also weaker when shelled by the LAG.

My []small, []local, []individual, []young, []weak, []unexperienced,
[]other(s) [You can check all the boxes and add some]... opinion is that
the EWST is *very* useful. I don't know a lot of people using it.

>> Don't you think there is at least *one* spammer in the whole world,
>> who knows that better than you ;-)

SL>     No.  I have not met such an individual yet.

>From time to time, I wonder if you're a cold blood joking man, or if
you really think what you're writing ;-)

Claude.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thought of the day (randomly french or english)
Les excréments et les sécrétions nasales des ânes et des chameaux
sont des aliments impurs - Khomeiny