Saturday, September 25, 1999, 6:52:39 PM, Alexander wrote:
> doubled one, and succeeded in the same manner......... For
> example, x=y would be $x=y$. I mean, "dollars" not *always*
> mean bux:-)

    Good example.  Another good one would be anyone working with perl or shell
scripts on unix and transferring them back and forth through mail.  In perl
all scalar references are preceeded by a $.  So a scalar would be $foo, a
reference to a value inside an array is $foo[1] and a reference to a value
inside a hash is $foo{key}.  It gets fun when you intermix the three.  ;)

$foo{$foo[$foo]}

    Shell scripts are the same way.  Variables are retrieved with a $
preceeding the appropriate variable.  :)