Sunday, January 09, 2000, 3:24:32 PM, George wrote:
> I can't disagree with that. Newsreading is a VERY VERY different thing than
> mailreading. Other headers, other protocols, other specifications, other
> rfcs etc etc.

    Well, not quite true.  IIRC, a "proper" news message is one that can
replace "Newsgroup" with "To" or "BCC" and have it sent through mail.  IE,
news messages are supposed to be rfc822 compliant.  I wasn't talking on the
protocol level...

> Not to mention that news are not folder oriented in the context of mbx
> files. Each newsgroup is a directory and each message is a file in this
> directory (much like as MH).

    ...nor on the storage level.  BTW, you are aware that how a message is
stored has no bearing on how it is best used?  Take a look at Diablo sometime.
What you're describing is INN which uses the file system as its database
interface.  Diablo, if memory serves, stores messages in 10Mb strips.  These
10Mb strips will have messages from any number of newsgroups in them.  It
relies upon an index to keep track of what messages in what newsgroups are
where.

    Conversely, PMMail stores each folder as a directory on the file system.
Each subfolder is a subdirectory, each message is an individual file.  Just
like INN's file storage system.  Does that make PMMail a news reader?  ;)

    No, what I was referring to was that mail and news (even comparing mailing
lists and newsgroups) are similar in design and function but had radically
different ways of approaching similar problems and have developed different
methods of dealing with the volume of data that passes through each system.  I
meant that at the user level, not at the programmer or lower levels.

> For  the new browser I don't care as long as it doesn't interfere with
> the  development  of Mailer. But it would be difficult. Here in Greece
> we  have  a  saying  "More  than  one watermellons doesn't seat in one
> armpit"

    Exactly.  I know one company that was going to make a mail client, and FTP
client and a news client which all were separate products but were going to be
integrated into one another.  They never got past the email client because of
a lack of time.

    I'd rather RITLABS would do one thing and do it well than do a dozen
things poorly.

> Well,  I  cannot  agree with you. To right click an attachment and the
> appearence of option to scan it couldn't be bad !!

    That is not how I read it.  I read it as some sort of automatic thing.