Tuesday, January 11, 2000, 1:42:02 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Conversely, PMMail stores each folder as a directory on the file system.
> Each subfolder is a subdirectory, each message is an individual file.  Just
> like INN's file storage system.  Does that make PMMail a news reader?  ;)

No  but  it  is  better  approach  to news reading. Forte's aproach is
completely  wrong,  news  are not supposed to be grouped in a gigantic
file,  rather  in separate files. In the other hand, Unix doesn't have
fragmentation   problems  :))).  Newsgroup  are  something  completely
different from mailing lists allthough they look alike.

>     No, what I was referring to was that mail and news (even comparing mailing
> lists and newsgroups) are similar in design and function but had radically
> different ways of approaching similar problems and have developed different
> methods of dealing with the volume of data that passes through each system.  I
> meant that at the user level, not at the programmer or lower levels.

No  no way. News and mail are very very different things. Just compare
Agents  capability  in  news  and  in  mail.  Agent is by far the best
newsreader but it is pretty pathetic as mailer.

By  the  way, if Rit wish to create a newsreader it should consider to
implement  a  scoring  system.  News  without  scoring is like browser
without jpeg. You can live with it but your life won't be any easy :)

Programs must to ONE thing and do it right.
Maybe  my  position is extreme but i wish that the Bat had only e-mail
capabilities. Things like mail composer, addressbook, mail converter &
import should be plugins or the mailer should have the ability to call
external programs (like mutt uses vi).
The   only   thing   I   want   from   my   mailer   to   do   is  to
fetch/send/store/search mail.

--
|| George M. Menegakis - System Administrator ||