Hi Douglas,

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:15:04 -0600GMT (16/01/2001, 10:15 +0800GMT),
Douglas Hinds wrote:

MDP>> We are now discussing setting up a super-users TBTECH list as a
MDP>> sister list for TBUDL. It's about newbies /not/ being
MDP>> overwhelmed (or overrun) by overly technical discussions on
MDP>> TBUDL.

DH> I have seen no newbies injured or even run over to date, so I think
DH> that's a pretext (show me just one casualty).

As Marck has pointed out, you don't see them, but this is exactly one
of the reasons to give techies their own space. I know many newbies
who would want to read the techie stuff (and everybody ios invited to
join TBTECH), but many people are just scared off when the support ML
is heavy on this. We had the same problem on the German list, my
sister unsubscribed ("this program is ovbviously only for computer
freaks") and threw TB in the corner. Here is your example. There are
many more I don't know about, also on this list, it's not a pretext.

DH> IAC, I can't envision any entrance requirements be set for the
DH> super-users TBTECH list

None. But you have the choice to *not* subscribe if you don't want to
get this stuff into your mailbox.

DH> and in order to not miss out on any of the finer details of TB!'s
DH> potential, I would probably subscribe to it.

Good. You will not be receiving more mails that you would without the
new list; but instead of all traffic on this one list, any user will
have the choice to unsubscribe from one, if he/she wishes to. And can
thus reduce the amount of mails to be downloaded.

DH> But to avoid getting still more email glut, I would then probably
DH> cancel TBUDL

The decision is yours. In fact, I know people who have subscribed to
TBBETA but not to TBUDL, claiming the heavy traffic in TBUDL.

DH> In short, I'd need TBTECH more than I'd need TBUDL and to save time,
DH> I'd drop TBUDL. The result would be that any newbie requiring a
DH> pointer that I might be able to provide wouldn't get it (since he or
DH> she would be in his or her own little cubicle), and the same pattern
DH> is likely to occur with other middle level but exceptionally astute
DH> and gracious users like me also.

Wrong. Many people perfectly capable of pointing newbies into the
right direction will remain on this list.

DH> So if it's overwhelming &/or overrunning newbies that form the
DH> motivation for spinning off TBTECH, the end result would be leave
DH> them in the sand box out in the rain all by their lonesome;
DH> unsheltered, unloved and unwanted; and that's hardly doing newbies a
DH> favor.

I couldn't help but smile here as I'm out of sobs for the moment. You
know that TBUDL will stay the main list, and anyway, see my reply
above.

DH> It kind of sounds like TB! v 2 including a coffee maker. Why
DH> complicate things?

Wait a minute here. Are you saying that v2 will *not* include a
coffee maker? Or are you just spreading rumours?

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.49c
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.