On 12/7/2001, Marc van Breemen wrote:

> I'm a former Calypso user which is, as you maybe know, now orphaned
> by the owner. So let's say it's dead. Now I am looking for the best
> replacement. Two email clients are left in my search: Becky and The
> Bat. Both are extremely good.

Greetings, fellow former Calypso user!

> BUT: I want a email client that will last for a long long time. I
> don't want to start using a email client again that will be
> discontinued at some time. Can I rely on RitLabs that they introduce
> The Bat version 2 in the very near future? They are building it for
> more than two years now. Still no beta to see, that is not really
> promising.

It doesn't bother me that much -- TB does what I need it to do for
now, any any new features, to me, are nothing but gravy. I'll agree
that the pace of development has been a little slow, but they are a
small company. I also believe that they don't follow the oft-used
practice of releasing new versions that are often little more than
betas, and letting the public at large be unwitting beta testers (can
anyone say Microsoft?).

> MCS, the former developer of Calypso, also promised to introduce new
> versions and then suddenly pulled the plug out; because: "You can't
> beat Outlook". Why wouldn't this happen with The Bat? Why not?.

I've heard different stories about why MCS pulled the plug on Calypso.
Judging from posts made by Calypso tech support to the Calypso email
list I belonged to, they were pretty much caught by surprise by the
decision to discontinue the product.

> Can anybody explain me why RitLabs introduces new features (like
> common folders) in an 'old' version (version 1.xx) when they are
> very (I hope) busy with finishing (I hope) version 2.....? If I were
> them I put all my effort in completing version 2 and, besides
> solving the serious bugs, quit developing version 1. Why not? Tell
> me, why not?

I think it's a convenient way to get early test results on features
planned for v2.0. As I understand from my brief time on this list,
v2.0 is going to be a major rewrite. By putting new features in the
current 1.x series they can get feedback on problems, etc, before
introducing the features into 2.0. This way their users will get a
more stable v2.0 right off the bat (no pun intended).
--
Regards,
Don Zeigler

Irritating tagline brought to you by The Bat! 1.53d
at 10:09:17 AM on Saturday, December 08, 2001