On Tuesday, September 03, 2002, Gerard wrote...

JA>> So you went to the trouble of looking up that information? I can
JA>> do exactly the same *without* the mid of the message. Just look
JA>> at any of the headers in the line of the email I just sent.

> Sure, but you have to know what you are doing.

You still have to know what you're doing to get the details from the
mid, and to use a whois database that most people don't know about.
Most people don't even look at the headers, so what you are pointing
out is a technical user would have to do the work, in which case, most
technical users would spot the different received headers anyway.

JA>> That information is freely available to anybody that uses a whois
JA>> database.

> I agree.

Then the information you are trying to hide has nothing to do with
TB!, but more of the publicly available database run by internic ;)

JA>> And a final point would be that the information you are getting
JA>> won't tell you anything about Carrie who works in the support
JA>> office sending from the same server. Yes you have my details, but
JA>> *I* didn't send the mail.

> The thing is, by using this bit of info that TB! attaches the
> organization can be easily identified. That I can't tell if you or Carrie
> sent the msg is of limited interest. Usually a organization is enough to
> drop by and do a search :-)

So you have the organisation... and unless you can coerce the system
administrator of that organisation's mail services, you'll never find
out who sent it either.

> Without wanting to take this discussion to far, it is my view that I
> should have control over all the extra info provided that goes beyond
> that needed to perform the function.

Then start writing an RFC for the new mail protocols that don't show
the correct path information ;)  TB! itself is only doing what it is
designed to do.  A redirect is technically nothing more than a copying
of a message body to a new email, and setting the From: field to the
original senders From: field.  You may also find that the mid inserted
into the message isn't put there by TB! but the mail server itself,
and that is an RFC thing.  If it isn't there, the server adds it iirc.
*quickly tests his theory* ;)  Verified on my server anyway... MID's
are required by RFC, so if one isn't put in by the mail client, the
mail server is supposed to do it.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])