In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
M. Evans [ME] wrote:'

ME> Moderator, it is good to promote civility, but you are disciplining
ME> the wrong person.

I disagree. I'm against the labelling of others into groups with
particular attitudes. It doesn't usually come off well in that it it
helps to nurture attitude battles (as what has developed in large
part here), rather than focus on the technical aspects of the
discussion.

ME> This quote does in fact exemplify camp #2:

It may, but that's besides the point of my initial appeal not to
label.

ME> So we must retain "every artefact [sic]," accept the "reasons" and
ME> "advice" without question....or use another mailer! This bullying
ME> seems like camp #2 in spades.

Bullying implies that Dierk, who made the statement, has power over
you and is abusing this power, i.e., taking unfair advantage of you
and others. Dierk has no such power and knows this as well. He's
just expressing his opinion as you're doing yours. It may not go
down well with you as it didn't with me, so just refute it. I did
just this with my comments to his post. I do agree with your
technical sentiments on the matter. :)

ME> Some unix wizards love emacs because they have memorized all the
ME> magic keystrokes required to edit without touching a mouse. Most
ME> of us are not like that.

Agreed.

ME> We want our editors to do low-level thinking for us. There are
ME> good reasons why most editors behave differently from Bat.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree with this. I could counter that there are
good reasons why it's not good for e-mail editors to work as those
integrated with the majority of e-mail clients out there. TB!'s
editor is quirky in some ways, I can certainly agree with this.
However, IMO, what it can make you achieve is certainly on a superior
track to what the others offer.

ME> I had to use Utilities > Format Block > Left at least ten times
ME> while editing this short note.

You could minimize this with the help of the auto-format option.
Shift-Ctrl-F toggles this option. You can also make it the default
in the Editor Preferences.

ME> I find that to be a nuisance. Others share this viewpoint and it
ME> is perfectly reasonable.

Indeed it is. :)

ME> We do not intend to give up on Bat, but to offer our experiences
ME> in an effort to make Bat even better. I've used Bat for many
ME> years and still find this editor very annoying. So my habit is
ME> to use UltraEdit alongside Bat. I would rather use just one
ME> program.

I understand this.

ME> The suggestion of model/view should not be shouted down.

Hmmm. I don't really see where it was shouted down. The view was
categorically put forward, with the opinion that TB!'s editor 'needs
help'. TB!'s editor was compared to 'real text editors' implying
that TB!'s editor wasn't one. This will definitely trigger counter
opinions by those who enjoy using TB!'s editor, especially those
with years of experience using other plain text editors.

ME> Model/view would give all of us what we want. People who like
ME> hard linefeeds and Alt-L could keep on using them. Meanwhile
ME> "the rest of us" would have a more intelligent and pleasant
ME> editor taking care of those irritating details for us.

More intelligent???? More pleasant??? If you make statements like
that, be prepared for the rebuttals. :) Or was it provoked? :)

I personally disagree with it since one's opinion of an editors
behaviour being pleasant is subjective, and depends on their needs or
wishes. As to intelligent? I wouldn't even go there. :/

- --
  -=] allie_M [=-  {List Moderator}

MUA: TB! v1.62 Christmas Edition ___ OS: WinXP Pro (SP1)