I would just hope that people would come away with the most important
part of the debate portion of the model/view suggestion is that it
could (fundamentally speaking) have a feature set to satisfy everyone.
A mimic of the current editor with the added options some of us
want (and would make the program more appealing to some potential
customers).

I'd love a way to disable the free caret.  I'd love to be able to
toggle my view between fixed-pitch and variable-pitch fonts (I rarely
need to use the font for making columnar alignment) etc...

Using an external editor has many shortcomings in addition to the ones
already mentioned.  An integrated mail-centric interface is the
primary one that comes to mind - I like having editable mail headers
at the top of my mail editors.

It not the easiest thing to do with an established program, but any
suggestions I may have for the program, I do not intend to replace
existing functionality.  Having the program be its best for the
greatest number of potential customers makes some sense to me.  I like
what the bat offers, but I cannot recommend it to many friends because
of some of its _uniqueness_ :)

Bruno

--
Using The Bat! v1.62 Christmas Edition on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600
Service Pack 1