Hello Thomas,

Sunday, December 29, 2002, 2:21:19 PM, you wrote:

TF> How can you ben infected through TB with a trojan?

Through an attachment for example. Even from a trusted source.

>> And as long as you keep all your mail incoming to text only.

TF> No, TB's HTML rendering engine does not allow code to run.

Code doesn't have to run in TB. You can download mail from a trusted
source, save it to disk and run it from there. And you may never know
you have the trojan as a good trojan will not affect your machine
until, for example, the time comes for your machine to be used in a
DDOS attack.

>> And as long as you don't click on something sent to you by a friend.
>> And as long as you don't click on something by accident.

TF> In both these cases, you have to either actually switch off the
TF> Warning feature in TB, or ignore the warning. so, accidents are not
TF> really possible, and TB will allow you to open the file sent to you by
TF> a friend, because TB assumes you know what you are doing when you
TF> click the warning away. I would not like TB to nanny me that far.

And there is a good example of a security hole. How do you know your
friend isn't passing on an infection, whether it be worm/virus or
trojan?

>> And as long as you have AV software to make sure none of the above
>> happens if you don't take the necessary precautions for one reason
>> or another.

TF> There are enough people who don't run AV software for email, as long
TF> as they run TB. It is pretty difficult to start a received malware by
TF> accident from within TB.

If you're not convinced by my trusted source argument:

It wasn't that long ago that Microsoft distributed a CD to 2000
developers at a Developers Conference which contained a virus/worm.
And it was only a couple of years before that that Novell sent out 50k
copies of it's what was then it's current networking product also
containing a worm. ;-)

 Mike                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]